Cape Verde on a Budget: How to Travel and Explore without Breaking the Bank
Cape Verde is a stunning vacation destination that won't break the bank if you plan wisely. With some research and budget-conscious decision-making, it is possible to enjoy the beautiful beaches, breathtaking landscapes, and rich culture of this African archipelago without overspending. In this post, we will provide you with tips and tricks on how to travel and explore Cape Verde on a budget.
I. Case study: How much you need to live a normal, not luxurious, life in Cape Verde?
"In São Vicente a 3 bedroom apartment cost us about $800/month. Coffee is around $0.60, you can get a sandwich for around $4, meal at a restaurant for like $10-$15 depending on level of dining."
"Will come down to the rent price to know the rest of the general money planning, under 30.000 Escudos(~300 $/€) for a T2 or even some fancier T1 in the main living places, Palmarejo, Achada Santo Antonio and Plateau are hard to find, I say those places BC they are the places with everything(stores, restaurants and medical facilities) and kinda near the main beaches(Kebra Kanela and Prainha). You can find Cheaper offerings in other neighborhoods but they might be far from most places of interest and decrease your general safety, it's not that the places I mentioned first are perfect by any means, just have some common sense(don't walk around with the cellphone at your hand) and be careful."
"Food, if you go to the eating out route, fancier places prices are 600 escudos(~6$/€) minimum at best . Cheaper places are at 250 to 500 escudos(~2,5 to 5$/€) and eat way more but the food safety might not be the best. If going the making your own food route the best stores(and a bit cheaper) are Matilde, Khym Negoce/Finicia[same Lebanese owners] (they also have home appliances ), Calú and Angela and Beto. There is Meu Super that apparently is Portuguese owned since most of the products are from the the supermarket chains in portugal but way more expensive. Vegetables are Cheaper on the Platô flea market but they don't write the prices you could get ripped off, so buy at the regular supermarkets."
"About transportation bus rides are 43 escudos and taxis are 150 minimum if leaving a neighborhood to another, 120 if just in same neighborhood, prices go up at night. if you want to go cuntry-side you will use the mini-vans called Hiace it's 300 to Assomada 600 to Tarrafal. you could go by taxi and have a way more faster/confortable travel but the prices will be way up, idk about Assomada but to Tarrafal is 6.000 to 7.000 escudos. Btw from the Praia airport to any place in the city or vise versa the taxi price is 1000 escudos."
"Beer is 120 for Kriola, 130 for Super bock at minimum at bars and clubs, might vary. Zero Hora is the most club."
- KYFPM (Santiago), reddit
II. Plan ahead for the best deals
Planning ahead is essential to finding the best deals for your trip to Cape Verde. Consider the following:
- Travel in the offseason: The high season in Cape Verde is from December to February. If you travel during the offseason (from May to November), you'll find lower prices on flights, accommodations, and activities.
- Book your flights early: Booking flights in advance can save you a lot of money. Try to book at least two months in advance to find the best deals.
- Compare prices: Use travel search engines to compare prices on flights and accommodations. Be flexible with your travel dates to find the best deals.
One of the best ways to save money on your vacation is to plan forward and look for deals. Start by researching the best time of year to visit Cape Verde, as prices can vary depending on the season. Once you've chosen your travel dates, look for deals on flights and accommodations. Consider booking your trip in advance to take advantage of early bird specials, and use travel websites to compare prices and find the best deals.
Another great way to save money is to be flexible with your travel dates. If you're not set on a specific date, consider traveling during the offseason or midweek, when prices are typically lower. Also, look for package deals that include flights, accommodations, and activities, as these can offer significant savings.
Case Study: Saving Money by Booking Early
One traveler who visited Cape Verde said, "I saved a lot of money on my trip by booking my flights and accommodations well in advance. I was able to find great deals on both, which allowed me to enjoy my trip without worrying about overspending."
III. Choose affordable accommodations
Accommodations can be one of the biggest expenses when traveling, but there are a number of ways to save money on lodging. Consider staying in a hostel or guesthouse, which can offer budget-friendly accommodations without sacrificing comfort. Many of these properties offer private rooms with shared bathrooms, as well as communal spaces where you can meet other travelers.
Another option is to look for budget hotels or apartments. These can be a good option for families or groups, as they often offer more space than traditional hotel rooms. Look for properties that offer kitchenettes or other amenities that can help you save money on food and drinks. You can also consider a homestay or house-sitting option, which can offer a unique and affordable travel experience.
Accommodations can take up a big chunk of your budget, but there are affordable options available in Cape Verde:
- Consider hostels or guesthouses: Hostels and guesthouses are a great option for budget-conscious travelers. They offer shared accommodations and common areas where you can meet other travelers.
- Look for budget hotels or apartments: Budget hotels and apartments are a step up from hostels and guesthouses, but still offer affordable options for travelers. Look for ones that are located away from tourist hotspots to save even more money.
- Consider a homestay or house-sitting option: Homestays and house-sitting options are becoming more popular in Cape Verde. This is a great option for travelers who want to experience local life and culture while saving money on accommodations.
Case Study: Staying in a Guesthouse
One traveler who visited Cape Verde said, "I stayed in a guesthouse in Mindelo and it was perfect for my budget. The room was clean and comfortable, and the staff was friendly and helpful. I also met other travelers in the common areas, which was a great way to make new friends and learn more about the local culture."
IV. Eat like a local
Food is another area where you can save money while traveling in Cape Verde. Instead of dining at expensive restaurants, consider visiting local markets and street food stalls. You can also choose restaurants where locals eat, which can offer authentic and affordable cuisine. Finally, consider cooking your own meals with local ingredients, which can be a fun and budget-friendly way to experience the local cuisine.
Visiting local markets and street food stalls can offer you delicious and affordable food. You can sample local specialties and try new dishes without breaking the bank. Additionally, choosing restaurants where locals eat can offer you authentic and affordable cuisine. Look for restaurants that are busy and popular with locals, and try asking locals for recommendations.
Cooking your own meals can be a fun and budget-friendly way to experience the local cuisine. Visit local markets to find fresh ingredients, and try cooking a few simple dishes in your accommodations. This way, you can enjoy the local ingredients and prepare your own meals for a fraction of the cost of eating out.
- Visit local markets and street food stalls: Local markets and street food stalls can offer delicious and affordable food. You can sample local specialties and try new dishes without breaking the bank.
- Choose restaurants where locals eat: Restaurants where locals eat can offer authentic and affordable cuisine. Look for restaurants that are busy and popular with locals, and try asking locals for recommendations.
- Cook your own meals with local ingredients: Cooking your own meals can be a fun and budget-friendly way to experience the local cuisine. Visit local markets to find fresh ingredients, and try cooking a few simple dishes in your accommodations.
- Try to hunt some fish by yourself!
V. Take advantage of free activities
There are a number of free activities to enjoy while exploring Cape Verde. Consider visiting local parks and beaches, taking a walking tour of the city, or attending a free cultural event. You can also take advantage of free museums and galleries, or explore local landmarks and historical sites on your own.
One great way to explore Cape Verde for free is to visit the country's many beautiful beaches. There are many beaches in Cape Verde that are free to access, and you can spend a day swimming, sunbathing, and enjoying the beautiful scenery.
You can also take walking tours of the city, which can be a great way to see the sights and learn about the history and culture of Cape Verde. Many cities in Cape Verde offer free walking tours, so check with your hotel or tourism office to find out more.
- Beach-hopping: Cape Verde is known for its beautiful beaches, and many of them are free to access.
- Hiking and walking tours: Many hiking and walking tours in Cape Verde are free, and they offer a great way to explore the country's natural beauty and learn about its culture.
- Free museums and galleries: There are many free museums and galleries in Cape Verde, where you can learn about the country's history, art, and culture.
VI. Use public transportation
Using public transportation is a great way to save money while traveling in Cape Verde. Many cities in Cape Verde have reliable and affordable public transportation systems, including buses, trains, and ferries.
If you're traveling between islands, consider taking a ferry instead of a plane.
Public transportation is a budget-friendly way to explore Cape Verde. Here are some tips:
- Take the bus: Buses are the most common form of public transportation in Cape Verde. They are cheap and reliable, but they can be crowded and uncomfortable during peak hours.
- Use aluguers: Aluguers are shared taxis that follow set routes. They are more expensive than buses but can be more comfortable and convenient.
- Try a collective taxi: Collective taxis are a good option for longer trips or when traveling with a group. They are more expensive than buses or aluguers, but they offer a more comfortable and efficient ride.
VII. Explore off-the-beaten-path destinations
If you want to save money and have a more unique travel experience, consider visiting lesser-known destinations in Cape Verde. Santo Antao Island, Sao Nicolau Island, and Brava Island are all great options to explore.
Case Study: Exploring Santo Antao Island
One traveler who visited Santo Antao Island said, "I loved exploring the rugged terrain and stunning scenery on this island. There were plenty of hiking trails to choose from, and I loved visiting the local villages and experiencing the culture firsthand. It was a great way to see a different side of Cape Verde and save money at the same time."
VIII. Look for deals on tours and activities
There are many tour companies and activity providers in Cape Verde, and it's important to do your research and find the best deals. Look for companies that offer discounts for booking multiple activities or tours, or consider booking through a travel agency that can negotiate better prices.
Bullet List: Ways to Save on Tours and Activities
- Book multiple activities or tours with the same company
- Book through a travel agency for discounted rates
- Look for special deals or promotions on websites like Groupon or LivingSocial
IX. Shop around for souvenirs
Souvenirs can be a great way to remember your trip to Cape Verde, but they can also be expensive. To save money, consider shopping around and comparing prices at different markets and shops. You may also want to consider buying local products like coffee, wine, or crafts, which can be cheaper than traditional souvenirs.
Traveling on a budget in Cape Verde is definitely possible with some planning and smart choices. From choosing affordable accommodations and eating like a local to exploring off-the-beaten-path destinations and looking for deals on tours and activities, there are many ways to save money without sacrificing the quality of your vacation. So start planning your budget-friendly trip to Cabo Verde today and experience all the beauty and culture that this amazing country has to offer!
Phone in Santa Maria: +238 913 77 28